September is recognized as National Preparedness Month (NPM) which serves as a reminder that we all must take action to prepare, now and throughout the year, for the types of emergencies that could affect us where we live, work, and also where we visit.
Due to the success of last year’s theme, the Ready Campaign has decided “Don’t Wait, Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today” will be returning for 2016 NPM.
Making a family emergency communication plan is a great way to prepare for disasters, but testing your plan is even better so you’ll be familiar with how to respond.
It’s also one of the 10 Ways to Participate in America’s PrepareAthon!
In addition to the overall theme, FEMA and the Ready campaign will be promoting specific topics each week of NPM:
- Promote NPM: Aug 28-Sep 3 – Kickoff to National Preparedness Month (Find resources to promote NPM at www.ready.gov/september )
- Week 2: Sep 4-10 – Preparing with Family & Friends (Make a family emergency communication plan )
- Week 3: Sep 11-17 – Preparing Through Service (Honor 9/11 by Getting involved in your community & planning with neighbors.)
- Week 4: Sep 18-24 – Individual Preparedness (Take steps to prepare for a disaster today like downloading the FEMA app.)
- Week 5: Sep 25-30 – Lead up to National PrepareAthon Day (Be counted and register your preparedness event for National PrepareAthon Day!)
National PrepareAthon! Day culminates NPM on September 30, 2016. Individuals, families, organizations and businesses are encouraged to use America’s PrepareAthon! materials as you plan, host and support events, drills and training sessions throughout the month and on 9/30.
Learn more about National Preparedness Month and find Ready’s NPM toolkit, graphics and more at www.ready.gov/september.
And consider getting some customized disaster preparedness & first aid manuals or ebooks for your family, co-workers, customers & events (up to 70% off $14.99 list) ~ learn more
Stay safe out there, j & B