September is National Preparedness Month (NPM or #NatlPrep) and we – along with thousands of private, public and nonprofit organizations – are encouraging Americans to take time to help your community get better prepared for disasters and emergencies of all kinds.
NPM wraps up with America’s PrepareAthon! as a national day of action (on 9/30 or anytime) when individuals, families, organizations and businesses have preparedness events, drills and training sessions to help turn “knowing into doing”.
A really fun way to get involved with NPM is to participate in the 30 Days, 30 Ways disaster preparedness game.
#30Days30Ways was started by the Clark Regional Emergency Services Agency (CRESA) in WA with the goal of challenging people to do one basic task per day to enhance their personal readiness for emergencies.
Each September, CRESA posts one simple readiness task each day and winners are selected from among the participants. The tasks are creative, fun and educational using an interactive social media based approach to reach an audience who may not be normally reached through traditional community events.
Check out this year’s 30 Days, 30 Ways promo video and scroll down to learn how to get involved and play…
How do I play?
Anyone can participate in the 30 Days, 30 Ways Preparedness Challenge — in fact, the game has had players in over 44 states and 38 countries — and there are 2 ways to play this year…
- A daily task will be posted by 7am PDT to 30Days30ways website every day during September.
- The challenge will be cross-posted on Facebook and on Twitter @30Days_30Ways
- You can complete any task, any time as long as they are submitted by midnight on Sept 30th.
- You may enter as often as you like.
- This Year there will be 4 Weekly Challenges posted each Monday.
- You have until the following Sunday evening at Midnight Pacific Time to submit your entry.
- These Bonus Challenges will judged by a team of Emergency Management Coordinators at CRESA for creativity, relativity to the topic, popularity and how best it answers the overall theme of the game.
What can I win?
The number of winners and Amazon Gift Card prizes are based on the funds donated for this game. If you’d like to contribute to the #30Days30Ways crowdfunding campaign, visit their 30Days30Ways 2015 Preparedness Challenge page. (Any amount is helpful and all money donated goes directly into prizes awarded to those participating in the challenge.)
Learn more about the 30 Days, 30 Ways Preparedness Challenge at www.30days30ways.com or follow them on Facebook or Twitter @30days_30ways or #30days30ways.