This Sunday (March 10th) is the start of Daylight Savings Time meaning most people will lose an hour when they spring forward.
Even if you don’t observe DST (like us here in Arizona), it’s a great time to change your batteries and clocks and check your preparedness stocks.
Some things to consider doing this weekend…
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors around your home. And remember to replace your detectors every 10 years.
- Prepare and practice escape plans so you and your loved ones can get out of your home safely in case of fire.
- Test and rotate batteries in your Weather Radios so you’re ready for wild spring weather.
- Check and rotate out water, food and all items in your home, auto, office and locker preparedness kits. Don’t forget to make kits for your critters too!
- Update your Family Emergency Plan (e.g. confirm meeting places [esp with the little ones in case you are separated during an emergency], ensure all phone numbers are current, etc.)
- Go through your Important Family Documents to make sure everything is current (e.g. wills, insurance policies, immunization and medical data, credit card #s, recent photos of family and pets, etc.)
For more information about how to make a Family Emergency Plan and tips on developing kits, visit www.fedhealth.net/usfra.html and download a free 57-page mini ebook compliments of Fedhealth and the U.S. First Responders Association. You can also learn more about our customizable products and fundraising programs. Stay safe!